Thursday, June 21, 2012

Action Research Plan




Action Planning Template
Goal:  To assess the benefits of block scheduling versus traditional scheduling in the areas of student academic success and discipline.
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation
Identify two similarly leveled classrooms with equally qualified teachers from the 2nd-4th grade levels to participate in the action research project.  One class from each grade level will use traditional scheduling and the other class block scheduling.

Mrs. Morrison
Mrs. Pfeifer

August 2012
Class Matrices, Classroom Schedules
Mrs. Pfeifer will verify student data and class placement with registrar.  Mrs. Pfeifer will verify classroom schedules with grade level teachers.
I will keep records of students’ progress and achievements through campus and district based assessments and STAAR testing results. 
Mrs. Pfeifer
Mrs. Rodriguez
Mrs. Vannett

August 2012 – June 2013
Class Matrices, Eduphoria Data
Mrs. Pfeifer will analyze classroom testing data in Eduphoria program.

I will keep records of student discipline infractions through office referrals and weekly discipline charts.
Mrs. Pfeifer
Mr. Wiggins
Classroom Teacher
August 2012-June 2013
Class Discipline Chart, Office Referral Data
Mrs. Pfeifer will analyze classroom discipline data through discipline charts and office referral data.
I will survey the six classroom teachers involved to assess their personal feelings as to the effectiveness of their scheduling type in relation to achieving in depth instruction to meet the rigor of the STAAR testing.


Mrs. Pfeifer

May 2013
Survey created by Mrs. Pfeifer
Teachers will complete a survey of their personal feelings in reference to scheduling and rigorous instruction.
I will survey the students to assess their feelings as to classroom activities, preparedness, learning capacity, and interest in subject matter in relation to class schedule.
Mrs. Pfeifer

May 2013
Survey created by Mrs. Pfeifer
Students will complete a survey of their personal feelings in reference to classroom activities, preparedness, learning capacity, and interest in subject matter in relation to class schedule.





4 comments:

  1. I like your research action study. It is exciting that you have the ability to run two separate schedules within the same school to evaluate it. Do you anticipate any scheduling issues with this? I am very interested in following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah, it is awesome that you will be able to run two separate schedules in each grade level. I think your plan looks great. The only thing I see that I might adjust is how often you give the students their surveys. I know my kids would not answer the questions for the whole year; they would only answer the survey over what they learned for that six weeks, month, or even just that week. Good luck on your research!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering the same thing as Amber. I would also survey the teachers at least 3 times through the year. I know by the end of the year, I've forgotten what I did at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cassondra,

    Great job with your action research plan. Research into the pros and cons of varying student schedules is interesting and relevant to today's schools. Keep up the great work!

    Dr. Abshire

    ReplyDelete